Sunday, August 16, 2009

Something from the wood shop

The DH has been busy in the wood shop!

He carried this in and put it on top of the bookcase that he had built me

Made out of sturdy oak and custom designed both to fit on top of the bookcase and to hold my family history book

A few moves back I had a library stand that I used for that purpose, but the spindle legs didn't survive to come to this house --- this piece is definately sturdy enough to stand up to a move and it is a beautiful match for the bookcase (and the bench)

check out the cute little elephant!

I've already started working on the rubber stamp

once I get that finished I'd be ready to start working on the next piece in the Out of Africa series


I have now finished 2 beads for the giraffe piece --- have 3 more to do --- and of course I'll have to do some for the zebras too --- this has turned into a really fun project


worked on the floral handbag project yesterday --- got all of it picked apart, cut the inner lining and started doing the stitching around the floral pattern to do the tramputo work -- I've decided to stuff the flower petals and do really close stitching over the leaves to give a variation in textures then use glass beads in the flower centers as accents

this is how quilting projects begin

on the left side are aspen trees

on the right side are redwood trees


just the beginning of a lot of playing with dyes and paints and fabrics

1 comment:

AlisonH said...

Beautiful woodwork!

And I once knit, for the Dr. R I mentioned at the end of my book, an afghan with a pattern based on redwood tree trunks. Love'em.