Tuesday, October 25, 2022

When last we saw our hero......

 Yes, I know ---- it's been a really L .O. N. G.  time since I put anything out here ----

It's not that I have nothing to show for the last two years, it's just that I have not  felt like writing about it any more that the brief FaceBook posts --- writing something bigger than that requires more concentration 

And I'm not promising this will continue on any regular basis, we'll see how it goes

As I write this I'm listening to the thump, thump, thump of the tennis balls in the dryer that are doing the "fluff" portion of the drying cycle on the first of the loads of flannel that arrived yesterday.  It's nearly November, which means shortly the PJ factory will temporarily take over my studio so I can get the Christmas sewing done.

If you visit my kitchen on any given day, you may see odd things going on!

Like this little set up, for example.

I'm in the midst of a piece that includes bottles sitting on a window sill, and I've been struggling with the shadow aspect of them for several days.  Yesterday I was approaching the "sling it across the room" stage when I had a conversation with a fellow artist about figuring out this issue.

No matter how many formulas or written descriptions I might read on the subject, setting these up and taking that photo provided the answer I needed --- a picture is worth thousands of words!!


 

 







 

1 comment:

AlisonH said...

Welcome back!

And I am suddenly remembering a trip to a museum when I was 16 with my dad and an artist friend of his. I was admiring a beautiful landscape and Nat, the artist, said to me, What's wrong with this painting?

Me: There's nothing wrong wtih it, it's beautiful!

Nat: Look more closely.

I didn't see it.

He had to point out that this one shadow, the little one way up in the corner, was going in a different direction from all the others. The artist had observed his subject but had forgotten to take into account that the sun had moved while he was working.

I never forgot the lesson that day: remember where the Light is.