Thursday, October 27, 2022

why we keep learning

I've been reading a book about Leonardo di Vinci


 (and may I add as an aside that it is wonderful to be able to read again --- the cataracts were really impacting that more that I realized!)

anyway, this quote really grabbed me:

"In rivers, the water that you touch is the last of what has passed, and the first of that which comes...The instant does not have time; and time is made from the movement of the instant....Observe the light.  Blink your eye and look at it again.  That which you see was not there at first, and that which was there is no more."

 I am more aware now days of time's passage -- wondering some days how it got to be Thursday again already -- fussing about the idea that I never seem to get the house cleaned to my prior standards, yet feeling little inspiration to spend time doing that -- I want to make more art!!

Also feeling more pulled to taking the time to spending meaningful time with other people -- family and friends

Does it really matter if the house is spotless (or as close to that as it ever was)?  I think not --- 

I'm going back to the studio to work now --- new art is calling, the river and the instant and the light keep moving on

1 comment:

Nancy G said...

No one on their deathbed ever said, "I wish I had cleaned the house more." People and art will always be more important! As long as the dust bison don't get bigger than the dog (or attack said dog!), and the bathroom scum doesn't start moving independently, I think you're good.