Saturday, May 09, 2015

Accepted

this piece took me a long time to make

here is the artist statement that I wrote about it for submitting to Sacred Threads:

"Much of my work comes out of pictures seen in my mind in that time between being fully asleep and fully awake.

In May of 2013 a close friend whom had been like an aunt to my daughter had been told there was nothing more that could be done for her ovarian cancer.

This piece represents the picture that I awoke with in my mind on the morning of her passing.

The creation of this piece has given me time to remember and honor her memory and to work through my own grief of loosing her."

having finished this piece just before the deadline early in March and just prior to the big move, I had moved on to thinking about other things

so it took me by surprise that the letter telling me that this piece had been accepted for that exhibit came almost exactly 2 years after the phone call I got telling me the doctors had done everything they could for her

sometimes the timing of things just stuns you

I'm glad this piece of art will get to travel to the East Coast -- I hope it is well received

1 comment:

AlisonH said...

Wow. What a powerful piece in both the timing and in the quilt itself.

I'm sorry for the loss of your friend. I'm grateful she was who she was in your lives.