Tuesday, June 09, 2009

another balloon

the third balloon for Carried Away

I was concerned that the vertical stripes would be a problem on this one, but they worked out very nicely

So now it's on to the last (and biggest) balloon, which is a checker board pattern --- I hope --- we'll see how stitching that goes







Before I actually draw right on the frame for the Birds in the Mist, I decided a test on some scrap lumber was a good idea

What I learned is this: some colored pencils will take being coated with a sealer and some will not

Most of the blue and gray tones I tried did just fine, but the browns and rusts just disappeared --- interesting

So, those cattails were drawn on with a Micron pen after the sealer was dry

I think that will work

So now it's on to the frame itself!




When I was talking to a friend we were discussing an idea that we saw in that wonderful Complex Cloth book.

In the section about resists, it suggests using Elmer school gel glue as a resist

So, yesterday I decided to experiment

I used the bottle of gel glue to draw freehand right on the cloth

You can see the designs here as pale blue against the white (this picture was taken after the glue was all dry)

Next I'll be getting out the spray bottle and spraying some sort of color over it, then we'll see what happens.

Today I have a doctor's appointment, but she did call me yesterday to tell me the biopsy report came back all clean. I will still be having surgery in July, but there is no cancer. I am very grateful for that.

Time to get rolling!

No comments: