Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Reaching the count down stage.....

We have only 10 DAYS! before our show in Nevada City, CA, and I'm trying to get everything ready to go.

Spent most of yesterday working on the second bear that I need to finish. Its coming along pretty well, but I ended up making major changes to his lower jaw and nose. I also discovered that I'm nearly out of the larger size eyes that I use for these bigger bears, so I will need to get some while we're at the show.

I also have the second Puppy almost finished. Today I'll do his eyes, nose and ears then when we go to the pet store I'll get him a collar.



We took a break and made a trip to the store. Our Longs Drugs are being closed, so they have everything marked down 33%.

This is my "haul" of "off the wall" nail polish that I got at that 33% off price. I use these to paint the back of the clear glass eyes that I put on my bears. Since nail polish is translucent, I get some really neat colors by putting on layers of different colors.

The two colors on the top left are the colors I'm using for the eyes of the big bear I'm finishing up...I think they will be really nice with the batik fur this bear is.




The trip to the store was also to try to get new little foam covers for my head phones (when I'm working on the computer -- either the desktop or my laptop -- I usually want to be listening to music -- instrumental if I'm doing serious writing, anything goes when I'm working on graphic stuff) I have these really nice Panasonic headphones, but after about 5 years the little foam pads over the ear pieces had totally fallen apart (I put them on the other day and both sides of my head were covered with fine black foam particles....I briefly wondered if my brain was leaking)

Anyway, seems Radio Shack only carries the generic round foam covers, and I didn't want to go running around trying to find oval ones from Panasonic that would probably cost an amazingly large sum. Sooooo, I drew a pattern around one of the earpieces, raided my fabric stash and came up with these.....lovely RED velour covers at absolutely no charge except a little of my time. I'm feeling very smart as these are every bit as comfortable, I love the color, and I know these won't make me think my brain is leaking......

My trip to Radio Shack did yield a new pair of rechargeable batteries for my "Dictabird" (the hand held tape recorder that I carry when we travel to get down any ideas that I can't write down at the time). So now that is all ready to go, having found new tapes for it during my trip last week to the local office supply.

Last night I was all set to finish the second afghan square, but ended up in a trip to the frog pond instead! I evidently miscounted when I cast on my stitches, and instead of 21, I had 31 which made the square over 12 inches wide....too big for the project! NUTS! Ok, so I ravelled it all out, wound it into one ball of yarn (which will be easier to knit out of than 2 seperate ones) and cast on again. This time I counted it TWICE!!




2 more half footballs done......moving along! (flat footballs roll even more oddly!)

Today I will be doing the necessary ironing for our trip. I use a piece of antique lace over the center of my table and it needs to be starched and ironed (even tho' I dislike ironing, I love the smell of a freshly starched and ironed piece, it reminds me of my grandmother).

Time to get busy!

2 comments:

Kelly (Lynn) Parra said...

I love good deals, and the nail polish colors! :) :)

Bev said...

I love the nail polish too, I always wished I had long beautiful nails to wear the stuff on, but I work with my hands too much, so there's really no point putting it on! Painting bear eyes is fun tho'!