Monday, April 23, 2007

We're back.....

We spent 2 days on the road traveling to a show we do in Nevada City, California, every spring. On the way we saw rain, sleet, snow, fog and even a little sunshine. It’s a good thing that our car is gray, because after all that, it looked like a giant gray mud ball anyway, coated with a thick layer of grime, salt and the other chemicals they use to keep the road clear.



This is a picture I took out on the salt desert in Utah on our way out. I'm thinking about using it to create another framed beaded piece.

I think the way the mountains are reflected on that very thin layer of water that sits on top of the salt is pretty interesting.







We rolled into Nevada City before noon and spent most of the afternoon setting up our table and talking with other artists. This year there were 3 artists that had never done this show before and 2 of them had never done any show before.

After all the set up was done I pulled 3 bears off of the table – the same 3 I have been fussing with since I “finished” them in the last month or so. I was never really happy with their faces. Well, after a discussion with one of the other artists, I hauled them back to the motel and reworked their faces. I think they look much better.





During the slow times, I worked on and finished the 3rd in the series of puppies. This one has a longer tail, ears and nose than the others, and I'm pleased with him.

I think Rags is a fitting name.




On Sunday morning I totally rearranged the table ... sometimes this move helps get things moving along.

It was an odd show....I sold NO bears, but I did sell both sheep (and took an order for a third one), the new toucan and one of the penguins sold as did the medium size camel. I came home with orders for a buffalo, a schnauzer and an aligator.

On the whole, a very weird weekend!





Right after the show, we went down to San Jose to visit with a friend and fellow artist.

Every year when we do this, we get involved in some sort of creative project, and this year's had to do with shaving cream and fiber reactive dyes.



This piece was done by my friend by "painting" with the dye in a pan of shaving cream then laying the fabric on top.....quite the splendid bird I think!





















If nothing else, I got a lot of squares done for Close Knit Hugs.

I'll be shipping off a box to them this week.



We got home Saturday evening, and I've since spent a lot of time working on getting unpacked, doing laundry and recovering from the traveling.

I did manage to get the rest of the beading done on the bracelet last night....Nice I think.

The plan for the next few days is to get started on the orders I took and then to get ready for the show we're doing next month in Albuquerque, NM.

Into the fray!

No comments: