Sunday, December 15, 2013

new work, old issue


back in the days when I made collectible teddy bears, I was sometimes asked to create a black teddy bear

I did a few of them, but I hated doing it

it's been a while -- I forgot why I hated doing it

this project has made me remember

the problem with doing a black bear -- or a black dog -- is to get the necessary definition in the face that you can tel what it is you're looking at

I'm not happy with the way this looks just now, so I need to figure out a way to fix it

meantime, when we were out running around I saw something that looked a lot like this

someone had hung a hub cap on the branch of a bare tree

if I were the person that lost the hub cap and I drove past that spot often, I'd be pretty pleased to see that someone had thought enough about it to put that where it wouldn't just get run over and smashed

from an artist's point of view, this is pretty humorous -- this might even rise to the level of becoming another piece in the "Slice of Life" series -- we'll see


I'm working on Christmas projects, I'm getting close to being finished -- I think

things are looking good!

1 comment:

AlisonH said...

It looks like the tree is leaning over trying to thumb a ride. Boy does that take me back to the '70's. When was the last time you saw someone hitchhiking?