Wednesday, July 29, 2009

getting the right tools

you may recall that I was having issues with using my steel knitting needles to knit the silk yarn I recently got to do some lace knitting with

after doing some research and inquiring of several experts, it was clear that what I needed was some hard finished wood needles --- something with a bit more "grab" than the steel, but not too much grab

I looked at several different kinds of wood needles -- including some absolutely amazing pairs made of rosewood and ebony -- but I just can't justify spending $30 for a pair of knitting needles that I won't be using a lot more than I think I'll be using these

So I compromised and ordered these really nice ones for a lot less than $30 --- now I just have to wait for them to arrive in the mail and I can start on the lace project.

Yesterday I spent some time working on the balloon beadwork -- the beading band for inside the frame actually fits (oh yeah!) and now I have it all marked for where each of the balloons gets attached --- and I think I've figured out how to attach them too --- just need to get some clear thread and try out my theory

Just as I suspected before I had my surgery, it hasn't even been two weeks yet and I'm "choppin' at the bit" to be able to do stuff --- I guess I really hadn't realized how many times I actually went up and down the stairs either to the bedrooms upstairs or to the basement where my desktop computer, photo set up and a lot of supplies are stashed. Now I'm having to carefully plan out each day which direction I'm going to go --- upstairs to take a shower, get clean clothes, etc., or on alternate days downstairs to use computer stuff, get supplies for a project. etc. Makes me also realize that the next house needs to be all on one level!

2 comments:

AlisonH said...

Oooh, look what you found--those are beautiful!s

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the mention. Nice blog.

Get More Details