Friday, August 31, 2007

stealth batwings and other oddities.......



I clipped this cartoon out of the paper the other day because it was cute....little did I realize that I would soon discover that the caption must have been written to apply to me!




This is supposed to be an afghan square.

hmmmmm, lets see, issue number 1 it isn't square! It looks more like a stealth plane, or a batwing, or a raglan sweater seriously run amuck!

Just what happened here?! Well, here's the issue.....this is a pattern for a mitered square that I decided to "tweek" (remember, I never met a pattern I didn't want to change!). When I followed the pattern and knit every row it came out just fine. When I made this one, I decided to try to do it in stockinette stitch (knit one row, purl one row) and guess what.....the guage is totally different so the square isn't -- well, SQUARE!

{sigh!}


Okay, I ripped it all out and redid it in the all knit version and its square....

now, how can I figure out how to do this in the other style and have it come out square.....
something to ponder.....




Meantime, I did manage to finish this little shopping tote....even though I did tweek the pattern, it came out ok. My change was to make two straps, one on each side instead of the one strap from one side to the other that the pattern called for. It just seems like this version would be more convenient to use. We'll see how the "testing" goes.




And on a totally different topic, I would highly recommend this new item to all of you chocolate mint fans out there. I found it in my local King Soopers (Kroger store) yesterday, and it was DELISH!! Now I would suggest that they leave the center the same chocolate as the other ones, add the mint flavor and still cover with dark chocolate, but then it would be my recipe, and the candy people aren't listening to me.....even so, this was a great treat.

Progress has been made on the errant teddy bear. Yesterday afternoon he finally told me what to do about his ears, and today I'll be working on his feet (they're large and require some sort of art work to be done on them). Maybe we'll have pictures soon!

ONWARD!

No comments: