Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Slogging along......

We spent a couple of hours yesterday sitting at the dining room table (the "studio de jour") turning and stuffing the animals that I've been steadily stitching up over the past few weeks.

This is where we reach that "are we there yet" whine stage -- doing the designs is fun (well, at least mentally challenging), selecting fabrics is fun, having the animal done is fun -- some of the stuff in the middle? Not so much.

Anyway, by the end of our little session I had 5 birds and a sheep waiting for my attention in terms of needing to stitched shut. (I know, I know, we started out making bears, but now every other animal on earth seems to be waiting in line to be made in our studio -- I swear we should rename ourselves something that has to do with Noah and the Ark!)



The project I was talking about yesterday involves these two items.

I know, its crazy, but somehow all the surfing to other artists' blogs and reading the new books I got at Christmas and just somehow giving myself permission to HAVE FUN has evolved into this wildness.

I'll keep you posted!

Oh yeah, after having swatched for guage and tested for button hole size, the new sweater (which arrived last week as a box full of yarn with a note saying "some assembly required" -- which had me rolling on the floor laughing) has been cast on and I have knit the first pattern row -- all of which I did twice to get it right. Its that deal of breaking old knitting habits -- I've done lots of ribbing, but the patterns have always been K1, P1 or K2, P2 -- or some other even pattern, but this one is K2, P1 === WHAT?! Hence getting to do it twice -- after this it will be easier since I'll be able to "read" the row below.

time to get to it

2 comments:

Nancy G said...

Oh, no, I'd better get with the program...I haven't even picked out the yarn for this KAL, and you've already cast on!

Bev said...

ah yes, but I already have 2 sweaters in the que, so I needed to get with it!

BTW, if you are doing the largest size and you're knitting all of a piece, you'll need to cast on one extra stitch in the back to make the rib pattern work properly!