Tuesday, February 19, 2008

we're a bit "dippy"

As I mentioned in a prior post, the DH has designed a new bear.

Because we have put in place a "don't buy more stuff unless there's is an absolute need" policy here in the studio, we went through the tubs of mohair to see if we had something big enough to make his new design.


This piece of mohair had been purchased many (MANY!) years ago (ok, back in the day when we built big editions of bears I bought 2 yards of this stuff).

Nice feel, but not quite what he had in mind for color.


So ---- I dipped it!

I used food color in a mixture of vinegar and salt (to set the color). First I soaked the fabric so it was nice and wet and ready to accept the new color. Then I dunked it in the pot and let it soak a while.

Nice!


And while we had the pot of dye all mixed and waiting, I gave the "lab animal" a dunking too

She came out this lovely soft light pink.

Now I'm waiting for her to dry which will probably take another couple of days.





Remember the altered shirt I spent months working on?

Well, when I visited my folks last week, she gave me several of these that my dad no longer wears.

Two of them will fit me -- I'm thinking of them as fresh canvas to paint on -- perhaps literally!

no firm ideas yet, but I'm working on it

No comments: