Thursday, April 10, 2008

Triptych of Archangels












This is sort of the way they will appear when this piece is done too

The DH, the wizard of being able to draw something that actually looks like a recognizable figure, did the original line drawings for me a while back, and the last two days I've been using my colored pencils to create the color renderings. (think adult color book folks!) This is the first place where these pieces start to come alive. The next step is to start creating the full size drawing so I can make up the pattern pieces.

Originally my idea was to make this as a beaded piece (and that idea is not totally dead, just deemed "not do-able right now"). The main problem with that was the difficulty of getting enough detail into a small space -- after all the smallest seed beads readily available are 15s and even that might be too big for this one.

Anyway (digression is a way of life here!)

The idea now is to make this into a quilted wall hanging that measures about 3 foot tall by 4 foot wide -- more or less -- lots of space to do detail stitching and texturing on hair and wings and armour --

I'm thinking of using mostly batik fabrics for this because they have those lovely color variations that look like marble and renaissance painting strokes.

This is a "first" for a quilting project here --- it is NOT a piece intended to warm the body -- instead I'm hoping for warming the spirit here -- feeding the soul with beauty perhaps -- at any rate, I'm hoping for that affect while I'm working on it and perhaps for others when they see it after its finished.

So here is your quiz for the day: Who are these three archangels?

No comments: