Saturday, March 07, 2009

Clandestine trip

Sometimes we make a trip into Denver without telling anyone we're going there.

Usually this is one of those "run in, pick something up that we can't get in our little berg, run out" sort of trips that we try to accomplish in the time between rush hours.

Yesterday we made one of those

The Gem Show was on. We had some scrap gold we wanted to sell (we don't work much in gold, and have no way to melt it down and reuse it) and figured that would be a good way to get a little money to pick up some new stones to work with.

Here then are the "goodies" I picked up (from left to right starting with the top row): quartz druzy; quartz with little "ferny" things inside (I know, there's some proper name for this stuff, but I don't know what it is); labradorite; kyanite (this one is so thin the light actually comes through it); blue tigereye; agate druzy and a geode slice.

We also picked up 3 boxes of small facetted stones (emeralds, pink topaz and mystic topaz) that are cut ovals that we will use mostly to make earrings in sterling silver mounts.

Since I spent a bit of time in the car, I managed to finish this block for the "wall of linen" afghan.

Later last night I cast on what is supposed to be the last block of this project

Rather or not it acually IS the last block will depend on what I think about the overall size of the project when I lay out all the blocks on the floor

There is always the possibility that I will think it needs to be longer, and I might decide to knit an additional row's worth of blocks



Can you tell I spent some time on the phone last night?

While I was chatting with my daugher I covered an entire 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper with various doodles.

These I think are the best of the lot. I especially like the four legged critter with the ring of flowers around it's neck, although the bird in heels is rather interesting too.

No doubt at least one of these will make it's way into some future graphics project.

That's about the extent of what got done yesterday -- today we're not planning to even go out of the house (except for the mail), so I should get a bit more work done on things -- or not

No comments: