Thursday, March 19, 2009

Fabric and quilts and design



We've been making what I think of as art quilts for a while now.

Each of them begun with a specific gift purpose in mind (except for the angels there at the end that I plan to enter in the State Fair, but after that have no real plan for)

Each of them has been a new adventure, where I've learned a new technique, developed a new theme, etc., etc.

But there's always that issue of finding the fabric that I really want to use --- as in I know exactly what I want, I can see it in my head, but no one else has seen it yet, so no one has made it yet.

As you may recall from yesterday's post, I recently ran across a book about creating your own cloth --- not just that whole "throw it in the washer with rit dye" thing (although that is also a valid step possibility in the process), but the idea of layering techniques -- as in wash it with color then stamp it with your own hand made stamps then paint in some details then add foiling or stitching

All very exciting from the perspective of making a length of one-of-a-kind cloth

But what if I wanted, say 5 or 6 yards of the stuff, with a repeat

The possibilities of that seemed pretty remote

until I was looking at the blog of the author of the most exciting of the books I picked up

she was talking about something called Spoonflower. WOW!! You load up your artwork, you place your order, they print your fabric!!

This is very exciting, and full of amazing possibilities!!!

It boggles the mind (I may need to go lie down a while and contemplate all the things I could do with this idea!)

No comments: