Wednesday, March 18, 2009

movin' along

here, as promised, a first look at the bracelet I've just started working on

There on the left end I've done the orange parts (anything colored yellow will be beaded in orange -- I don't have an orange marker!)

The next step will be the purples then everything else will be greens

The plan is to submit this project to a color competition --- if I get it done in time and if I like the look of it when it's finished

Giraffes rule!!

At least this one has taken over the knitting beyond any thought of sanity!

Finished this back leg last night

I can report that the use of the cardboard yarn bobbins did make it easier, but there is still a certain amount of "detangling" that goes on

So now it's on to the last leg

whooo hoooooo






Under the catagory of "what's going on in the garage workshop", the DH finished this up and carried it into the house yesterday afternoon

You may recall my saying that we plan to move my loom upstairs, now that the piano lives at our daughter's house.

The bench is so I can actually sit at the loom -- and notice the very cool shelf --- or built in tray -- included in this lovely! That is so I have someplace to put shuttles, etc. while I'm working on a project.

He plans to make me a small matching bookcase too, so that my weaving books can be right there within easy reach.

The best part of this is that a lot of the wood he is using is stuff we're recycling from helping to tear out my sister's kitchen for a remodel.

Go Green!!

Late last week I put in requests for some books from our library (I love the way I can browse the card catalog online at all hours of the day and night!)

Anyway, this was one of the ones I had requested, and I can tell you it is AWESOME!!

Enough science to keep you out of trouble, enough imagination to stoke the ideas of those of us who are "science challenged".

She speaks in terms I get --- like "dying is like cooking, you need to make sure you have all the ingredients before you start"!

She also doesn't make it so expensive and scary that you are afraid to even try anything at home.

The way she uses layered techniques is really cool too -- and there is a whole section on creating your own rubber stamps out of things like those foam trays meat comes on.

And the reference charts for materials and techniques -- oh my! What more could one ask for?!

So now I'm wondering if I can get my paws on a copy of this book for my very own so I can fill it with notes (stickies and otherwise) and use it as a guide to some experiments of my own.

looks like I'll be browsing the used books on Amazon!

1 comment:

Nancy G said...

"a lot of the wood he is using is stuff we're recycling from helping to tear out my sister's kitchen..."
Glad to hear you are making good use of that oak, but the "Go Green!" was a bit punny, don't you think? ROFL

I am also a big fan of the 24/7 card catalog, and that book may be going on my request list. As far as having your own copy, you DO have a birthday soon, do you not?