Saturday, February 02, 2013

fantasy peacock

back in November, as soon as it was available, I got a yard of the fabric that is the Hoffman Challenge fabric for this year

I had seen it first in August at the Rocky Mountain Quilt Festival where they introduce it every year along with the first show of the traveling quilts from the contest for the previous fabric

for some reason the fabric said "peacock" to me when I first saw it

but when I got the fabric, it came home and went into the project box while I finished the Christmas projects and dealt with being sick, and. and. and.

about a week ago I decided it was time to do something about actually getting a design done so I can get started on creating this piece, so I spread the fabric out in the studio so I was looking at it every day (if only because I just walked through the room!)

it still said "peacock" to me

so in the last couple of days I've been looking at pictures of peacocks on line, and last night I drew this little picture

I don't want to try to do a literal, photo like bird, more one of my little fantasy birds -- similar enough that it is recognizable, but not necessarily the real thing

the plan (right now anyway) is for the end of the tree branch and the tail to extend outside the boundaries of the rectangular quilt shape

I need to take a closer look at the fabric itself and figure out how big certain elements of color and design in the fabric are so I can figure out how big this quilt wants to be

before I can get there I need to finish the sewing project I started yesterday -- covering a foam pad that will sit on top of the toy box the DH has been repairing that will go to Mr Cute when we go to visit the next time

time to get to it!

No comments: