Tuesday, May 20, 2008

home again, the travel log concludes!

We can begin by saying that a knowledgeable hotel clerk is worth her weight in gold!

While we were out and about on Saturday, the "low air" tire light on the van came on. I was dreading the idea of actually checking them again myself as the last time I did it I had to actually remove the hubcaps to get to the valve stem and I just didn't really want to get so dirty that I couldn't work on anything while we traveled.

So, I asked the hotel clerk that checked us out and she sent us to the place where the hotel has the work done on their shuttles, and they took care of the tire pressures all around, at no charge!, and we were quite quickly on our way.



This was the sign posted in the rest stop we were in in northern New Mexico.

Another handmade sign said something about the nitrate levels in the water being determined to be to high and that the water is hazardous.

Its a scary thought -- not being able to drink the water has long been a running joke when talking about going to other countries, but most of us here in the U.S. take clean water very much as something that is always there



The little restaurant we stopped at for lunch was in Colorado City.

This was the window that ran all the way across the front of the place (I told you it was little!). There was art work on every wall.

The food was good, and very reasonable.




Oh yes, and they have a sense of humor too! This sign was posted over the towel dispenser in the ladies room....

If you're ever in Colorado City, stop by Max's Place and have a bite!!



Coming out of Colorado City and headed towards Colorado Springs, we passed a long train of cars that looked like this -- those folks are tanks

All of these are coming back to Ft Carson for refurbishing after being with the group of troups that have just returned from Iraq



And as we returned from Ft Collins after picking up our dog from our daughter there, we passed 7 trucks like this, hauling huge highway I-beams that are headed for a big interstate project south of us

all in all an interesting, but uneventful (thank goodness!!) trip home





while I was hanging out in the motel room in the evening I finished the first of the angel wings.

After having pulled out all of the first attempt, I must say I'm pretty pleased with how this went the second time. I've even started on the second wing now.

There were 4 New Mexico Memorial afghan squares knit in the car -- all in oranges and reds and turquoise and purple -- mmmmmm, very colorful


and so today there is the van to unpack, laundry, paperwork and a run for a few groceries

I'm still pretty tired, so I'm not rushing into anything --- all the time on the road yesterday wore me out!

time to go do something.....

No comments: