Tuesday, May 13, 2008

the white bear -- and thanks, but no thanks



I always thought black bears were the hardest to photograph, but by the time this one is finished I may revise my thinking on that issue

Here are the hands and feet of the last bear that I'm trying to finish before we go to Albuquerque this weekend.

The bear is this really interesting string finish mohair, and I did the paw pads with a white upholstry velour (its close in color, but isn't exactly the same)

When I got ready to do the paw pads yesterday I realized that I didn't have any embroidery floss or perle cotton that was the right color, so I took the bear down to the local Hancock fabrics and found some nice perle cotton that matched the color of the mohair -- perfect!

Its subtle -- that classy white on white thing is pretty cool

So today I'll be doing the face. The plan is to also do the nose with this perle cotton -- I'm not sure yet exactly what the eyes will be like -- its a work in progress

And as a side note: have you seen the new, very cool stuff that DMC is doing in the area of embroidery floss? They have rayon where the colors practically glow in the dark; and linen which is very soft, matte finish; and a bunch of metallics and other very cool stuff --- I'd like to go back and get some of those "glow in the dark" things to do bright floral embroidery all over one the of the "lab animal" bears I've been remaking --- if I get time


Thanks, but no thanks:

On the issue of shows, I did something yesterday that I have never done before.

About a month ago I had sent in my application for a show that takes place in August. This show is one of those that has one area for the Fine Art booths and another for the Folk Art booths.

I have done this show before, and last time, even though I applied under Fine Art, they put me in the Folk Art area and for the entire weekend I had practically everyone that stopped in my booth (including their show staff) asking me why I wasn't over in the other area.

When I send in my application this time I once again filled out the Fine Art application, and when my acceptance letter came on Saturday, they had once again put me in the Folk Art area.

I called them and told them I did not want to be in that area, and that if they were going to put me there they should have contacted me first, and that I wanted my money back.

I realize that this probably sounds silly, but my experience at shows in the past 4 years has taught me that my bead work and the DH's silver work so not sell well when we are grouped with the crocheted potholders and wood-on-a-stick yard art. And frankly if we're going to spend what it costs to pay for a booth, drive 2 states away, stay in a motel, etc., etc., I want to be in the part of the show that at least gives me the opportunity to at least recoup my expenses.

Besides, I was annoyed with the condesending attitude when I asked about the change. Like I needed a few crumbs tossed my way, so they gave me the consulation prize and put me there.....judge me fairly, even tell me what I need to change to fit the catagory, but DO NOT talk down to me!!

Ok, I'm stepping off my soap box now and returning to our normally scheduled programming .....

time to get to that bear!

No comments: