Friday, May 16, 2008

Oh look, a finished piece of jewelry!



After having had this piece of agate for quite a while, I finally did something with it.

When I first got the stone, I had no idea how to create something to hang it by without covering the back of it, and since its such a cool stone, I wanted to be able to suspend it so light would still come through it

Well, I've finally figured that out!

The stone is in a net with a loop bail, the "chain" is right angle weave with a peyote stitched toggle bead.

So, I'm pleased with the way this came out -- and while I was messing with this one (it only took a couple of days to do it), I came up with an idea for a new piece that will take some planning and figuring to design -- (about time!)

Meantime I've finished all of the black and white beads over the wood shapes, and its time to start in on the beaded spacer beads that will go between them -- except I need to get some black and white delicas to make those from. Here's the deal -- for working in peyote stitch over a curved shape, regular ol' seed beads work really well because they are NOT all alike -- there are always thicker and thinner ones in each batch, which work to one's advantage covering a curve (thicker ones at the "equator", thinner ones at the "poles"). The spacer beads, however need to be made up of beads that are all the same size and shape so the results are smooth and even.

I'm actually hoping to get what I need while we're in Albuquerque this weekend. There is an area in Albuquerque called Old Town that we're hoping to go check out before we go to dinner with the group tomorrow night, and I just happen to know that there is a bead store in Old Town (ok, I do read the ads in the back of the bead magazine!)


And on a whole other subject: I had to take the van over to the shop this morning because it had developed this "noise", and I was concerned about the safety of taking it to Albuquerque. The guy there gave it a VERY complete going over, checking out the tires, struts, etc., and pronounced it safe to drive -- and hopefully we have eliminated the noise --- there was a piece of rubber trim around the windshield that was loose, and might have been the "flapping" I was hearing -- until we get it out on the highway I won't know for sure, but at least I know the underside is safe for driving.

While I was in the waiting area of the shop, I watched the staff work their way through the morning "chores". Let me tell you folks, my world has been turned upside down! I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it with my own two eyes! I actually saw a guy cleaning a bathroom!!! OMG, who knew?

Ok, enough levity for this morning, time to go pack and all that!

No comments: