Friday, November 09, 2007

W.I.P. - Terrapene ornata


Having successfully completed the first 2 of these critters which are purely intended to be toys for very young children, this one is a gift of another type.

Because this is intended for an adult (and because after doing 2 of anything I'm bored and have to make it more interesting), I decided that a pattern of some sort would be more fun (ie challenging enough to keep me working on it) -- I almost did myself in however (typical!).

The first idea was to do stripes that ran up and down the body, but after 3 attempts at that, I gave up and went to this pattern instead -- I had briefly considered doing the stripes AROUND the body, but that was just too "bumble bee" like, so this is the result. (If anyone knows how to do those up and down stripes in knitting, I'd sure like to hear how its done!)

So now its on to the legs and tail (the first 2 didn't have tails, but we're going for challenge here, remember). I'm planning to continue this pattern on those as well. One thing I did notice when I did the stuffing was that the knitting on this one seems much tighter (thus he looks thinner) which I think must be attributable to the fact that you have to carry the yarn not in use behind the one that is and I probably pulled it a bit tighter than was really necessary.

Meantime, yesterday we finished packing up the stuff we needed for this weekend's show, so today we will be loading up the car and doing the other "day before the show" things that we need to do.

time to get to it

No comments: