Friday, November 30, 2007

flora, fauna, fairies and the attack of the Christmas lights

As I noted the other day, I have been spending a bit of time doodling....


My daughter calls me every day as she is going home from work and we talk about "things"

Sometimes its how her work day went, sometimes its family stuff, somedays its just odds and ends.

I love hearing about what she is doing and is concerned about, and feel privileged to be someone that she WANTS to talk to.

For the last week or so, I've been picking up a pen and a note pad and just letting the doodles flow -- there is something creatively freeing about letting the pen just move over the paper while I'm talking --- perhaps because that ever present (censoring) right brain is busy forming sentences, the left brain is free to run wild amid the brain fields.....



Then there is this one .... doodled out in pencil while I was "watching" TV (ok, the "boob tube" is on, they're running for the zillionth time a sitcom that I can probably recite.....so "watching" is probably a misnomer)

I love the little fairy creature!

And last night (after riotously spending $1.19 for 2 special drawing pencils that are softer than the usual #2 lead) as I was drifting off to sleep, I envisioned this little creature becoming a very special Christmas present for my mother who has collected paper dolls for years......

I will be working on this idea to see where it goes.....

Meantime, I thought I'd share these pictures I took last evening of the house across the street from us.

He has a blow up lit Santa, lit candy canes all around the yard, a light up oversized mail box, spiral and stake trees, snowflakes in the tree, lights around the windows and the roof of the garage -- the only thing missing is a 6 foot twirling star -- (I shouldn't mention that perhaps -- he might find one!) Oh yes, all of these FLASH on and off!!

All in all, its a bit much, but at least there is no grinchiness there!











We, on the other hand, will keep this whole decorating to a more sedate level this year -- I'll be putting up the crystal tree in the living room and the usual family room tree with all the wonderful handmade ornaments. Soon....I promise

No comments: