Saturday, July 29, 2006

2 can can better than 1 toucan can??



After several weeks of not being able to figure out how to proceed with the toucan design, I decided to try a couple of the techniques I have learned working on the new quilt designs (and what I'm learning watching Simply Quilts). This is the result....these pieces are the beginning of the side of the body of the toucan....the blue patches are where his eyes will be set. The feet are both done already, and are being painted, so this is finally starting to come together!!




Spent some time working on the solar piece....two colors worked on the "rays" all the way around. I still want to put sun rays that are free standing on this as well as the bead work on the background, so I'm still trying to figure out how to make them stand out and "twist" away from the surface.....

Each piece is a whole new learning experience, teaching myself new techniques to meet the need of each idea. This is a better way for me to learn new things....just sitting in a class and learning a technique with no real idea to use it for is pretty much a waste of time for me and a teacher.....hmmmm, might be why I could never get through college??

10 blocks of quilting now complete on the Cat Quilt, and progress on the Car Quilt too.

Meantime, the hot air balloon was up over the house again this morning.....thinking about making that piece in a shadow box with the ballons suspended from the top and swinging free.....sort of like the image of a balloon.....soaring free about the earth......and credit here to be given to my "mentor" in California for suggesting the idea during a conversation we had on the phone.

Need to spend some time on some writing projects now.....

1 comment:

Kelly (Lynn) Parra said...

Love the pics and projects. Thanks for sharing!