Saturday, September 30, 2006

from deep in the heart of Texas.....

ok, I'm officially an old fart! We travelled today from our house to Dallas/Fort Worth (actually Irving) Texas for a bear show that is tomorrow.

First off, let me say that I can't make heads or tails of the way Texas marks things...you have things that are called US highways, which I get (say highway 35), then there are the county roads, which I also get, but what do you make of something called F.M. 7029? and there doesn't seem to be any order (you know, small numbers to large numbers east to west or vice versa) to these either, they are just randomly assigned as far as I can tell.

Then there is the issue of highway exits....there are 7029 FMs, but when it comes to streets in a city, the exits aren't numbered so you can't even tell if you're headed the right way.

Needless to say, it was interesting.....from the time we hit Dallas until we found our motel was an hour.....not helped by the fact that the address of the hotel (according to google maps, mapquest and AAA) doesn't even exist! We finally got here by way of persistant cell phoning....I'd call the motel, tell him where we were and he'd give me a set of instructions, then I'd call him back and get another set....

I offically don't want to go anywhere without good google maps again....the AAA TripTik has too much information where you don't need it and not enough where you do!

The fun side of all this? I can report that the research continues, and the Texas racoons don't blow up on impact either......(those of you that have been reading this blog since early May know about this, my apologies to the rest of you!)

I can also report that I have one and 1/2 afghan blocks done on this trip so far and 1/4 of the border of the cat quilt quilted.....now that's progress!!

Time to go unwind a bit so I can sleep....we'll have to be up at 5:30 a.m. to go set up!

2 comments:

Nancy G said...

Well, what do you expect from a foreign country? LOL
At least some things were familiar, the racoons, for example. How about pop-up pancakes; did you see any of them? (The sick sense of humor is obviously familial!)

Bev said...

I understand there's a whole "preserve" of those pancakes, but we didn't see any....2 fox in the "road kill cafe" tho'.....what a sad waste of good fur!! (Yes, we're a sick, sick bunch!!)