Wednesday, December 26, 2007

The Christmas Hang Over

We had a wonderful Christmas.

A lovely dinner on Christmas Eve with our daughter and son-in-law. Followed by a low key Christmas morning with presents and an easy to do luncheon tray before they headed out into the ugly weather to go home.

As I have been saying during the month of December, I had been finishing projects at a good clip, but a good many of them could not be detailed for fear of spoiling the surprise on Christmas morning.

Now at least part of them can be revealed.



As you may recall, I had knit up 3 turtles -- 2 that were toys for a friend's children and one as a stocking stuffer for my son-in-law.

This is the rabbit I knit for my daughter. For years she has had a collection of rabbits, and this was just too cute to pass up.

(and so we had from the top of the Christmas socks "the tortoise and the hare")



This is the sweater for my daughter.

The picture does not do it justice, and I am particularly proud of the appearance of the zipper in the front since I had to "wing it" putting that in -- the original pattern did not call for that (or for the decorative cable around the bottom edge either!)

The yarn I used has a lovely soft feel, and I think she will enjoy it.

(So now I'm planning the next sweater adventure!)



This is a piece I did for my son-in-law.

His dog is about the same color as this, and has one brown eye and one blue eye.

Earlier in the year I had made one of these for a show, thinking it would never sell and I would end up giving it to him for Christmas. Wouldn't you know it, it sold at the first show I took it to!

So, I made this one just for him. Hand painted eyes, suede mouth and foot pads and inner ears. And may I say, this fur is not fun to work on in this size -- but the results were spectacular -- and he really liked it.



This wall hanging was designed by the DH, executed by me.

Each figure having a significance for my daughter, her husband, their pets. I told them more figures of animals can be added as need be!

This was the first quilted piece I have ever done that the quilting does not just echo the pieces on the front. Instead I quilted snowflakes across the whole field.

I'm thinking to use this technique on the next quilt I'm working on so that the front and the back can each tell their own story



And this bright and colorful fleece vest was made for my husband. We keep our house very cool, so sweaters, sweatshirts and vests are an everyday item of clothing.

A couple of years ago I had made him a vest with a zipper, and when the cold season began this year he couldn't figure out what had become of it.

I decided a new one was in order, but because we had put ourselves on an extremely small budget for Christmas spending, I decided that I would see if I could make him a new one from things I had on hand.

This is the result -- bright, colorful and warm! (and with the bonus of partly cleaning out some of my stash)

And so today I'm doing some laundry and just moving along slowly as somehow I managed to hurt my back and certain movements are painful today.

Tomorrow I promise to have pictures of some of the great goodies I got from Santa and others (give me time, I'm still reading the manual!)

Hope you all had a great Christmas too!

No comments: