Thursday, December 13, 2007

Wined up musical toys?!

No, I did not spell that title wrong -- someone else did!

Let me preface this whole story with a bit of background. We live about an hour away from Denver. After years of being in California where San Francisco and Stanford Shopping Center and all their joys at Christmas were about an hour away, I admit I miss the glitter of this season's decorations in those places. That being said, we have gone every year at Christmas time since we've been in Colorado to the Cherry Creek Mall in Denver.

Not that we actually buy anything, but its an outing that we can do that we enjoy.

After watching the weather (and having had 2 snow storms in a week), we decided yesterday morning that we would make the excursion.

So off we go. It must have been meant to be, we had no traffic problems (a minor miracle in itself), arriving in a bit less than an hour and finding a very close in parking space (I must admit here that the Handicap placard in the front window of the van helps here!).

Our plan was simple -- walk around in the mall, look at all the Christmas decorations, maybe purchase a few things not easily available to us in our area, have lunch in our favorite place to eat lunch and come home.

And so we began.

Having seen the commercials featuring Martha Stewart decorating the store for Macy's, we went in to take a look.

Back in the corner of the second floor was a display of ornaments and trees and musical toys -- WINED up musical toys -- according to the sign -- wait, WINED? don't they mean WIND? Or perhaps they would play "how dry I am" or some appropriate inebriated tune. Evidence that someone didn't proof read, only spell checked!! It was too good to just chuckle and let it go. So, I decided to have a little fun with the clerks. Fortunate for me these were 2 ladies at least my age and with a sense of humor -- I pointed out the sign -- we all had a great laugh! (we're still wondering if Martha knows about those Wined Up Musical Toys)



We have collected Christmas ornaments for many years. Now days we haven't the funds for the many additions to this collection that we used to make every year, but we always look for something that will be a good addition to part of the collection. (Part of the fun of putting up the trees every year is the "remember where" of the ornaments as they go up).

This little "onion dome" was our addition this year. The picture really doesn't do it justice -- its a lovely purple-y coco brownish color with gold glitter tones. Nice!



One our way down the mall we passed the Sees Candy kiosk and had a nice chat with the gal that was working there. Not wanting to haul our purchase for the entire trip, I told her we'd be back on our way to the car. I'm thinking she hears that line a lot (I know I hear it at shows too).

But I really meant it, on our way to the car, we stopped and bought a very small box of chocolates for ourselves and a couple of small gift items too.

For whatever reason, she chose a large shopping bag for our purchases and as we were leaving she said "I put in a few samples for you". These are the FEW samples -- it was adult trick or treating at Christmas!! What a hoot!!





Now days I spend more time looking at things in the stores that I would have never looked at before.

In one of the stores I saw some of the work of a guy named Jay Strongwater.

Obviously influenced by Faberge, the pieces on display were AMAZING!! The bunch of asparagus is a hinged box and inside is another smaller bunch of asparagus and a tiny butterfly. The bumble bee is a pin. He uses lots of tiny swarovski crystals (some of his pieces must have had HUNDREDS of them on them).

WOW! and WOW again!!

And so while we were having our lunch at Johnny Rockets (LOVE their hamburgers and onion rings), I did some doodling in the little notebook I carry with me.
Have you seen the decorations in the Nordstroms stores this year?

They inspired these little bird like creatures














And while we were eating, a lady came in for a cup of coffee. Wearing pants with a large black and white herring bone pattern and a BRIGHT yellow oversized sweater and some of the pointy-est shoes I've ever seen, she was limping right along.

So, I drew this...



And this little (?) bear was doodled in the car -- I think he's kind of cute. Now I'm wondering if I can use him for some larger purpose -- note cards? a Christmas story? maybe a whole new bear design? We'll see....

And so, our Holiday Adventure complete, today we return to other things (got to fetch dog food and a printer cartridge), and perhaps some more doodle time later....

No comments: