Friday, February 13, 2009

Beach Glass and Zebras

It's done!

The pendant is more of my Rocky Mountain Beach Glass, but this piece is so different it hardly looks like the same materials.

Because the glass was such an erratic shape, I never could figure out a way to just frame it with beads, so I decided to make it a little netted bag.

Then of course it needed embellishments.

This "chain" is that twisted herring bone stitch that I'm happy to say I can now do quite well, and because of the style of the pendant it looks good on this piece.

I won't be using it for the smaller pieces that are just framed though -- it's just not as flexible as the right angle weave -- which also helps account for the metal (actually magnetic) clasp on this piece --- the chain is too stiff to curl around into a small loop like the right angle weave ones.

But I do like the looks of this piece.

Yesterday I put a new batch of glass into the tumbler.

This batch includes pieces of purple, red and gold that are part of the glass that we had broken before.

There are also some pieces of brown glass that were part of a beer bottle -- and we can tell you beer bottles are very thin! When the DH hit it some of it just turned into tiny little glass dust.

There are also 2 pieces of "found" glass in this batch -- one that is clear and has a very deep pattern running across it and one piece that is green.

Both of these were laying on the street, and I just picked them up and carried them home.

I'm especially excited about the green piece as I have not yet been able to find any pretty green glass object to break (most of what I've seen has been sort of olivine, which is ok, but not what I'm really looking for).

So for the next month I'll be listening to the tumbler hum and slosh and turn these into more "treasures" to make into new jewelry.

Oh the joy of having the proper tools!

Last night I finished up the body of the zebra!!

I know, right now it just looks like an odd rumply piece of knitting, but you need to just use your imagination -- the bottom edge of the picture is his nose, the top edge is his rump

Trust me, this will all work out!!

So now it's on to the ears and legs.

And I've been thinking about the giraffe. I need to get started on the charts for knitting that one --- I want to knit in each and every spot --- none of that embroidering over the knitting stuff.

Recently, I have seen a picture of something knitted that was said to be a giraffe, but it had stripes and we know that's not right, so mine will be properly reticulated. Ooooh! Intarsa knitting!! {Scary!!!}

time to get to it, I'm oh so close to having all of the tax stuff complete, and now that I'm close I just want to get it done and out of here!! Onward

No comments: