Sunday, December 05, 2010

be the first on your block

I'm hardly ever the first one to do anything, but yesterday I was the very first person to get a piece of the fabric for the 2011 Hoffman Challenge from my local quilt shop

having heard on Friday that the fabric had arrived and was being prepared to put on display I could hardly wait to get my hands on the stuff

the challenge fabric is the green with the big floral patterns on it, and the other piece of fabric is one (of several) coordinating fabrics that Hoffman has created to go with this

and I went ahead and splurged on the Sulky threads (using those makes the piece eligible for another category in the competition)

this is sort of my "reward" for working on and completing the Christmas projects

now it's on to the detailed drawings of our idea so I can determine what other fabrics I will need and just how big this thing will be

speaking of those Christmas projects

I finished these up yesterday

you may recognize the containers

over the summer my mother gave me a number of these because I was pretty sure I'd be able to find some uses for them

and the labels on the jars are a nifty combination of a drawing that I did the "old fashioned" way which I then scanned and combined with some lettering from my Printshop program, printed out and cut then ran through my Xyron to make them into stickers that I could just apply to the jars -- got to love blending the many arts and crafts I dabble in!
and since I was fiddling around in the kitchen with messy stuff, I decided I might as well go ahead and dye up some of the left over wool from the hat knitting so I can knit up the rest of the flowers

it's pretty amazing what you can create in a quart jar with Koolaid! the colors are strawberry-orange; strawberry-grape; lemonade; lemon-lime and berry blue

you won't get me to drink the stuff, but it makes wonderful dye!

more tree ornaments!

love the blue one with the silver ric rac

and the red/green with gold ones are pretty cool too

the one with the red ric rac just doesn't have the same "zip", but if someone has a country Christmas theme, it would be perfect

so now I need to decide how many more of these I'll be making

and while I was at the sewing machine working on these I did some more work on that stealth sewing project that I'm trying to get finished


having decided that the first swatch I had done was not going to grow up to be a sweater, I did this one last night

different pattern, different size needles

made gauge first time out of the gate

the new pattern is knit in the round -- sleeves first, then the body then you take all of those open stitches and knit the yoke -- cool, no stitching up!

looks like fun

and now, back to working on the Christmas letter -- STILL!

1 comment:

AlisonH said...

Just so you know: as an experiment, I once put some koolaid dyed wool out on the porch to see what sunlight would do. (And rarely direct sun at that.)

Of the two colors, one faded to a light dull gray in two weeks, the other--well, they later found a bird's nest at the elementary school of twigs, leaves, and bright pink wool.