Monday, December 13, 2010

Porcu-pocket?

I spent quite a bit of time working on the handbag yesterday

this is a project that I'm doing all by hand -- so it takes a bit longer than it would otherwise

I decided that I would still want a pocket on the outside of my bag to hold my cell phone

the bottom of this little pocket was one of the original pockets on the little coat

I made it a little narrower and added an extra strip at the top to make it deep enough that I won't have to worry about the phone slipping out (you can tell where the seam is for the add on because I covered it with that pretty braid)

the pocket has been totally lined too -- I stitched the pocket and the lining together face to face then turned it and closed the opening and top stitched along the top edge

it's all ready to be attached to the front of the bag (which is why it resembles a porcupine!)
got some more braid attached to the back of the bag too

that narrow strip covers the spot in the fabric where the pressing of 50 years had left an indelible mark

nice

so today it will be on to working on the front of the bag, and I'm planning to do a lot more embellishment there


the leaf is all appliqued down on this piece now

not bad

today I will work on adding the side strips and getting this set up to start on the quilting

and do some writing about how to put it together for the pattern


meantime there is laundry to do (which means I'll be having a go at felting the hat and flowers) and maybe some baking

and more work in the studio!

1 comment:

AlisonH said...

Porcupocket. I love it! Watch out, you'll have the Senate trying to cut the porc out for you.