Friday, December 10, 2010

the leaves are done

last night, while I was sitting in front of the TV after dinner I finished the quilting of the last aspen leaf

all 61 of them have now been bagged up and put in the work flat with the rest of the trees project

(which has now become too big a project to haul around as "portable")

it's time to pull out the air brush inks and the textile medium and get that background color stamped on there!


and yes, I'm sensing a nature theme here!

this project is also done!

wall hanging measures 12 inches square and has a hanging ring on the back to hang it this way

now I'm working on writing the instructions for the making of this piece

last night I decided that it would be a good idea if I can manage to have the three other leaf patterns available for the trunk show too, so today I'll be going through the stash tubs and pulling out the materials

the other three leaves are from the wall hanging I gave to my doctor, and I've not done them as individual free standing pieces, though they certainly would fit in with this one -- this one is the oak leaf and the other three are maple, aspen and cottonwood

yup, looks like I've created myself a whole new project to work on!

during the summer the DH spent a lot of time refinishing the wood frame for an antique chair that was given to me by a friend

when he finished the chair, he decided a small ottoman to go with it would be a good idea, so he used some legs that came off of some other piece of furniture (can we say they had been hanging around so long that we don't even remember what they came off of!), and built this

yesterday I put on the layer of padding that goes under the upholstery

I had been thinking about how to do this for a while, and I'm pleased to say it went a lot easier than I thought it would

the cording, which will go all around the base, is also all ready, so the next step is to get the patterned fabric on there

then it will be on to the chair -- a much bigger project, but one for which I have a really good book that takes you step by step through doing

never a dull moment here!

2 comments:

AlisonH said...

Wow. You guys do everything and do it well!

Nancy G said...

The quilted fabric on that ottoman looks very familiar; I'm glad to see you've already found a use for some of it!