Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Todays "what is it"


This is the quiz for today.....what are these?

Congratulations to Dorothy for correctly identifing the picture from Sunday's post. It is a spider web between a bush and the house, and that picture was taken right after a rain storm so the web was all covered with water droplets.

Didn't post yesterday as I didn't want to do another day without pictures, and I couldn't get my pictures to load up!

So, here's the progress report:


Toucan

Cute feet....got the sealer coats on, and they look pretty neat. The greatest thing is that they stand up on their own and they are sturdy enough to hold up the body of the bird.


I now have the tummy gusset and the body sides pieced together too, there was some picking out and recutting involved here, but I'm now satisfied with the way the "feathers" lie, and I think it will look good when I get it sewn together.




Finally got the beak right after picking it out twice.

Still have the challenge of getting the beak properly attached, but it looks like it's going to be a good fit.




Solar Power

There are now 2 and 1/2 rounds done on the sun rays. I had to add another row to the "bezel" around the face as it wasn't quite secure enough around the edge. I discovered yesterday that I get more done on this sitting at the table in the kitchen with natural light coming in from my left side than I do sitting in the chair with the artificial light over my right shoulder.....at least I didn't have to take off my glasses and hold it 2 inches from my nose that way......{sigh}....such fun being "blind as a bat"! ah well, having discovered that, I guess I'll just try to do more work that way.

Car Quilt is progressing along. Got the grass strip attached and the curb between the grass and the road applied (its a long strip of bias about 3/8 inch wide, so I first stitched it down on one side in the "ditch", then slip stitched the other edge) Next thing to do is the track, which I want to do in something that looks like bricks....I'm not sure exactly how I will go about doing that, but I definately don't want to just use a brick printed fabric.....I did have another idea as I was working on this about the race cars....I'm going to stay with the designs of the cars I started with, but I'm going to paint and number them for the cars he built....purple 76, red and silver 59, etc.....now this should be fun!

Cat Quilt: all 12 blocks are quilted and I'm 1/4 of the way done quilting the borders. I had originally intended to bind this one by just rolling the back over the edge and top stitching. However, since I failed to get it properly centered on the backing, there is not enough fabric at one edge to do it that way.....back to the drawing board as now I will have to figure out what to use as the binding.....perhaps more of the dark brown I used for "sills" around the cats if I have enough of it left.

Magazine article: Finished and waiting to be picked up by the mail man! Now we just wait to see what happens.

The Christmas animals have been photographed, digitalized, written up, printed and will be mailed off to the magazine today. I hope at least one of them gets used! I did 3: Bill the Penguin, Santa (the very cool bear with the polymer face) and Santa's Helper in Training. Now we just keep our fingers crossed.

Today we have to go and do shopping, etc., so I don't expect to get much done on projects, but who knows.....

No comments: