Monday, January 05, 2009

Playing with the Christmas present

As you may recall, I got the fleece of a Jacob Sheep for Christmas --

Actually, when the box arrived, not only was there the fleece I had discussed with the lady, as promised, but another entire fleece and a small bundle of prepared roving from a mix of other sheep as well. To say I was extremely pleased and surprised would be an understatement.

If you are ever in the market for fleece, I highly recommend Moose Mtn. Ranch!

I decided that this little guy just needed "something" -- I've not been really happy with him, and even though I had redone his feet back in September, and I like the look of the feet now, I still just didn't like the finished product.

As I mentioned, one of the things in the package with the fleece was a package of roving, a sort of soft, heather-y gray tone (a blend of several of the Moose Mtn Ranch's sheep)

The roving was the same color as the backing of the fabric I used to make this bear --- an idea was forming! After some discussion with the DH, getting his ideas too, he did a drawing for me and I was ready to begin.


A while later, after shaving all of the white mohair pile off his tummy and spending about an hour and a half with the felting needle, he has a whole new tummy look

While you can't really tell from this picture, he even has a belly button!

Now I'm thinking about doing some other things to spruce up his face (I hate the look of that seam right above his right eye) and maybe create some other accessories to go with him

Considering the fact that I had for several years resisted the whole idea of needle felting, I'm learning to like it --- probably because I'm discovering I can actually do it (I guess I just wasn't sure I could).

Meantime, yesterday I spent some time working on a piece of Rocky Mountain Beach Glass jewelry (one of the pieces of purple glass being made into a necklace) and some time doing embroidery on one of the angel panels.

Pretty much a low stress, laid back day all around.

Today we're back to what mascarades as normal here --- laundry, mending, projects --- life in the "fast lane" no doubt!

No comments: