Tuesday, January 27, 2009

really long knitting

quite a while ago I started working on a project called "The Wall of Linen" that was started over at
Mason Dixon Knitting.

the first blocks were pretty easy, and actually looked like blocks -- you know, roughly square or slightly rectangular.

this "block" however runs the whole width of the afgan -- it was done by casting on and knitting the center section (the one that looks like up and down stripes in the picture), then you pick up the stitches at each end and knit another section

by the time I got to the weaving in part, it had evolved into an all evening effort -- made more so by the fact that I am using up little odds and ends and pieces to make this out of -- some of it even yarn that was once part of a couple of different sweaters

so, now I'm about to go where even the Mason Dixon folks haven't gone yet -- there are still 6 blocks of this critter to be knit, and no directions posted, so I've decided to "wing it" and create some blocks of my own

Meantime, the stitching up of the odd orange knitting has commenced. Last night I did the large piece and one of the smaller ones, and let me tell you, this knitting (and stitching) on faith has its rewards --- the pieces look entirely different when they are stitched up, even resembling what they are supposed to be --- I'm so impressed I've decided to knit up another of these in different colors for another Christmas gift.

The tube creation on the beaded piece is 4/5ths complete. I'm really looking forward to moving on to the "putting it all together" portion of the project which include using silver French wire to attach the clasp (a very cool hook clasp with a pearl on it -- probably the most expensive single clasp I've ever used, but it's so perfect I had to do it). And there will be fringing off each and every one of the components.

Of course, since I'm nearing the end of a beading project, I'm already thinking what the next one will be. As I type this I'm listening to the rhythmic turning of the tumbler that is polishing up a new batch of Rocky Mountain Beach Glass. This batch includes some genuinely red glass (not that stuff that was just painted red that was in the last batch) which I'm really looking forward to making some new necklaces out of -- and maybe a bracelet -- the idea for the bracelet is in the tiny, baby stage, so I'm just letting it grow.

Valentine's day is coming, and that always marks one of the two high points of my paper crafting during the year. I have some ideas for some very cool valentine cards, but until my new printer cartridges arrive, there is no printing going on at my house --- boooooooo! They should be here on Thursday, then LOOK OUT!!

and so it is in the studio

1 comment:

Kay said...

Wow, it's beautiful.

Feeling like I ought to be catching up!

Kay