Friday, January 02, 2009

What are you doing New Year's?

I don't do resolutions

My experience is that I don't keep them very well, and who needs the extra guilt?

I do start, complete and return to projects however!

These Christmas socks were made by my daughter and I last year for her house

This year she asked me if I could embroider their names on them

So yesterday, after the Rose Parade, I set up my machine and did the embroidery

The original plan was to do it right on the sock cuff, but even the smallest embroidery hoop for the machine was too wide to work, so I embroidered the names on some of the fabric left over from the sock lining (reason #2,954 of why you never throw away fabric pieces), then attached those embroidered strips to the cuff of the socks

It's probably acually better than the original plan since it's hard to work lettering over a patterned fabric and be able to read it

So, project #1 for 2009, all complete

Yesterday morning this was a t-shirt

A while back, when my daughter went off to finish college and live away from home she had several t-shirts that had been acquired at performances of things like Phantom of the Opera and Beauty and the Beast -- cool shirts but she didn't want to ruin them by wearing them (beside that, they were size XL, and she wears a smaller size). So, I made them into throw pillows for her.

When we were up visiting over Christmas, she asked me to make one of her husband's t-shirts into a pillow too.

A quick trip to the closest fabric store and about an hour's work later, the t-shirt is a pillow!

I'm thinking this might be a service I could add to my Etsy store too.

Ok, project #2 for 2009 complete!

If you've been with me a while, you may remember these .

I had gotten them all pieced/appliqued then put them away to make the big "get those Christmas projects done" push in the fall

Yesterday I pulled them out and looked them over

and decided that I want to do some embellishment with embroidery before I put the panel together to do the quilting

So hopefully today I'll get to work on them a bit after we run some errands

I guess if I have a resolution it's that I want to finish a lot of projects this year -- in fact, I think I'll start a list so that at the end of 2009 I can review and see how I did

How about you? What are you doing in the New Year?

2 comments:

Nancy G said...

"How about you? What are you doing in the New Year?"

Well, I don't do resolutions either, but I do have some goals for my adventures in fiber this year. #1 is to have more FOs and fewer UFOs by this time next year. #2 is to more consistently document said FOs, so I can more accurately gauge my progress toward #1.

Bev said...

not a bad idea --- after all we know that no job is complete until the paperwork is done!