Saturday, December 30, 2006

ok, I'm really tired of the snow already......

the storming goes on.....not so much that it continues to snow (although it has done some of that too) but the wind just howls and blows the stuff around.


So, here are today's early morning snow pictures (there's really no sunrise in this weather, just the dark gray going to lighter gray)

To the right, our front yard. Someone (we don't know who) came in the middle of the day yesterday and shovelled out our driveway for us, but as you can see, we'll have to do it again when the wind stops.



To the left here, the back yard of the house next to us....their fence has disappeared under that 6 foot drift of snow



And this one is our back yard, where our little windmill is nearly buried in snow, but is still spinning madly into the north wind.

Part of what is creating this lovely drifting is the open field behind us. Yesterday afternoon I could watch the wind picking up the snow in the field and swirl it up into the air over the top edge of the fence for it to be deposited on our side of the fence in that drift.



And this is the other corner of the front yard. There is about 2 foot of snow piled up under that little aspen tree (and over the sidewalk beyond it).

As I said, I'm really tired of the snow already, so can we please just STOP?!

The weather man says its the first time in recorded weather history that we have had two storms like this back to back....so why did I need to witness this history?




I am, however, working on projects!

These are the first 2 arcs of the 96 for the outside edge of the quilt for my daughter (that means there are only 94 arcs to go ----- wheeeee!) (okay, for those who don't know, that's a paraphrase of a lyric from Ragtime --- now go listen to that awesome soundtrack!)

These two were done in the old traditional way (draw the pattern on the back of the fabric, cut out and stitch) which took a long time to accomplish. Yesterday, I decided I would try a new approach, so I created a sheet of paper with 2 complete sets of the finished size pieces drawn on the page with a little space between them. Then I copied that page onto 2 precut sheets of freezer paper (isn't technology wonderful!).

After printing on the freezer paper, I cut out all the little templates -- enough for 4 arcs. Then I ironed all of the little templates (oh JOY!, I got to use my new iron, it was wonderful, no sputtering, no "its cold, its hot" phases) to the fabrics and now I have a little packet of fabrics all ready to go for the next sewing session.



I also finished all of the field beading for the bracelet. Last night I started putting it all together, but its not quite done, so no finished picture yet. I'm using the double bead edging I had discovered on the last pin I did, and it looks amazing, almost like a piece of metal braid had been attached to the edge.

Today I will finish it and start on another new piece.

Well, time's a wastin', so I'm off to have some breakfast and get back to the projects!

No comments: