Saturday, July 05, 2008

new "paint"

Earlier in the week I was all "gaa gaa" over the fabric I had found that I originally thought I would use as the base of the front for the new quilt we're designing.

After some consideration, we've decided that something darker and more subtle would be a better backdrop for the design of the front, and that beautiful stuff can be the BACK of the quilt --

now here's a first! Usually the back is the last fabric I purchase for a quilt -- but this works too!

Anyway, I was looking in the fabric store for fabric for the back of the baby quilt (I'm well into the last corner block which means we're closing in on needing the back soon). I didn't find anything that fits the requirements for that, but these other lovelies presented themselves -- more parts for the "still in planning" quilt

Yesterday, after at least 3 months of having absolutely no idea how I would finish a particular bear I had started I had an idea, so some time in the next couple of days, I'll be doing some experimenting with it to see if it will work (this will mean building a "test head" to try the eyes in because I do not want to mess up the actual head (I don't have any more of that fabric!)

I've also been thinking again about the pegasus/doll soft sculpture I had started during the winter -- working on "wings" in my head -- I want them to be fairly stiff so they'll stand out from the body -- I'm thinking stiff floral wire inside batting inside the cotton fabric -- and I'm thinking of painting the whole pegasus with a coat of gesso then a wash of color and some diamond dust -- we'll see!

Well, this afternoon some time my daughter and her husband will be here to spend the evening with us (they'll have to go back tomorrow afternoon), so I need to do a bit of "tidying" before the arrive -- oh yes, and decorate the cake I baked last night -- that should be fun -- we'll see if I still remember how!!

2 comments:

Nancy G said...

Gorgeous fabrics! The fabric for the quilt back is usually the last thing I decide on, as well. Right now I'm trying to decide on backing for ten baby quilts, and I refuse to buy it. There has to be something in my monstrous stash that will work!

Bev said...

how about some pixs of the fronts -- I might be able to offer some suggestions!