Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Sharing the creative process

From time to time someone will ask me where I get the ideas for a piece of jewelry that I have done.

Since I've been thinking more about how that creative process actually works for me, I thought I'd share a bit of it.

This is a scanned picture of a piece of petrified dinosar bone that I got from a dealer at a recent show.

The actual piece measures about 3/4 inch by 1 inch, but through the miracle of technology I can scan and tweek to my heart's delight!




After scanning the bone, I lightened the colors, and made it BIG (printed out on a sheet of paper it is about 1/2 inches by 9 inches).

I already had a template for the bracelet I want to cover with beads, so I started looking for an interesting pattern area to use.

Once I found an area I liked, I used a Sharpie marker to outline the patterning. (see there toward the bottom left angling up)

and here is the pattern all drawn out on a piece of pelon.

Notice the large sort of rectangular space in the middle? That is where the actual piece of bone will go.

All of the rest of the surface will be covered in beads -- rusts, browns, golds -- all the colors I pick out of the pattern of the bone itself

Be sure to watch for progress on this piece!

One of the email artist groups that I belong to has been discussing journaling this week

Probably because of my own prior experience, when someone says "journal" to me, I think of what most people refer to as a diary (and my blogs ARE my diary!!)

But that's not what they are talking about really.

They are talking about using drawing and painting and collage and any other mixed medium they like to create a sort of picture journal -- something that I have not previously tried

So yesterday I decided to give it a try

My subject for entry #1 was the escapades of the Big Black Dog and a large black and white cat that had invaded her yard

Now I don't think my attempt is any thing other than very amateur attempt compared to what I've seen of other work, but it was kind of fun! So, I will try a few more.

Just in case you haven't been keeping track, right now I'm working on three different quilting projects:

1. Quilting a top for my sister (log cabin blocks)
2. A top for a baby quilt
3. Angel panels for a wall hanging

So, just to keep things interesting (let's not have time to get bored here!), yesterday the DH finished up the first drawing of the next quilt we'll be doing.

Nice, no?

This one of course will be built on the building blocks of what I've learned by doing the last one (the dragon that is) and should be a lot of fun in terms of getting to play with a lot of color!

mmmmmmm, nothing so exciting as starting a new project




Yesterday I made a trip to the local Hobby Lobby to pick up some supplies for a project or two

At the back a 2 yard roll of pelon -- this is the stuff I draw the beading patterns on and sandwich together with some warm and natural batting to stitch through, and I had used up all that I had

One skein of yarn from the "bargin bin" to be used to knit into afghan squares for charity -- my sister keeps me well stocked (she recently brought me a HUGE suitcase full!!), but when I can get a skein on the cheap, I add it to the color mix

An assortment of papers, stickers, etc., to use on a scrapbook project I'm putting together

And my reward for having been a good girl -- I have missed only one day of walking since I started on this program the first part of June (and that was the day after our show so it still included unloading the van, which is a work out in itself!). So, I bought one of my most favorite magazines -- and I might add that Hobby Lobby is the right place for this purchase -- a 30% discount is a great thing!! I have just begun my first trip through the magazine -- usually it takes me 5 or 6 times through and then I keep these for future reference. YUM!

So today there are errands to run (have to have the oil in the van changed) and web stuff to work on (I'm trying to do a bit every day until I get it DONE!) then it will be back to the beads and quilts and things

ONWARD!!

1 comment:

Nancy G said...

I think that bracelet is going to be beautiful; thanks for the insight into the creative process.

The new yarn looks yummy, sort of a soft peachy color. Is it as soft as it looks?

Bet I know where you got the idea for the new quilt! Let me know if you're in need of any bright fabrics for it...you know me and my quilts requiring sunglasses. LOL