Sunday, May 03, 2009

flowers, pots and giraffe snakes(?)

It was a busy day in the studio!

these needle felted flowers and leaves are for the birdhouse (to go with the robin)

I'll probably use some pressed glass beads too

should be able to get this project all finished soon!



The pots for the flower cart are all ready now, each one having been painted and glazed and now the little bits of oasis has been installed in each one too

Now it will be on to making all the little beaded or felted flowers and foliage -- I've found several patterns for different flowers that call for size 11 seed beads, but I'm thinking I'll be using size 15s to get these somewhere near to being in the proper scale


The bezeling around the new piece of beach glass is complete, and I've started on the chain. This one looks like silver even though it's entirely glass beads --- I really like that whole idea.

The new issue of Bead and Button arrived on Friday, and there are some cool new ideas in it that I'm looking forward to trying out --- nothing better than learning a new technique and taking it out for a spin!!


Comments online and here in the studio by the DH not withstanding, I am NOT making a snake here (can't you hear Sir Hiss singing "trust in me, trust in me.....")

I can understand the confussion --- yesterday's picture does indeed look like a blind if very well fed snake (ok, even a blind snake finds a mouse sometimes!)

However, I'm plunging on with the transformation.

You may recall I said that some kind of weight would be required to keep the weight of the neck from pulling the whole thing over on it's nose.

The plastic baggie in the left hand picture is full of plastic doll pellets (used to give soft dolls that "feels like a real baby" heft), and that next to it is a container of steel shot --- big ones! The right hand picture is the little pouch I made and filled with a mix of those two weighty items. The bag weighs 1 pound 12 ounces -- an amount which I hoped would counterbalance the weight of the spine and the neck

and it does

Behold, we now sit upright, and the back legs are attached.

So now we're on to attaching the front legs then there will be the creation of tail, ears and horns and possibly eyelids ---

there will also be some needle sculpting to be done around the nose and mouth

he's coming along!!

No comments: