Saturday, May 23, 2009

New projects and good news

I made a trip to the craft store yesterday.

We were looking for the plastic cleaner solution for the balloon project.

They evidently don't make it anymore (we last used it about 8 years ago!), and we decided that we could use alcohol to clean it instead.

But since we were in the craft store, we decided to take a walk down the "clearance" row ---- and lookie here!! Five new styles of birdhouses!

So while I'm working on repairing the one that got damaged last weekend, I'll also be working on these.

I especially like the windmill one -- and yes, that really does turn!!

Guess I'll be doing a bit of research to figure out five new birds too --- well, only four --- the barn needs an owl, so that one is already decided.

So now we start in on the wood works --- removing the little rods that are on the fronts and installing something actually long enough to perch the bird on, sanding all the surfaces, putting on the primer coats, figuring out color schemes --- cool!

I also got wire to start making the beaded flowers for the flower pots. And a pair of size 4 straight bamboo knitting needles. And a wood frame with an oval opening for a beaded piece I'm reworking. Your basic eclectic shopping basket at the craft store.


And after having been to the craft store and bought the birdhouses, which at the time I had no real idea where I would even take them when I finished them, the mail man brought this envelope.

I knew from the feel of the envelope that it was an acceptance letter, but I tried not to get too excited --- after all, I had applied to this show last year and been accepted, except they had put me in the "crafter" area, which is NOT where I wanted to be.

Was it the magic words "Mixed Media" on my application that did it this year? Was it a different jury panel? Is it just finally my turn?

Who cares --- the letter is from The Fine Arts Chairman! We got in!!!

This means I need to get more pieces done and figure out the display issues --- and I have until the end of August to do so as the show is August 21 through 23 in St. Joseph, MO.

Ok, I'm still doing a little virtual happy dance --- and thinking about what I'm doing next.

No comments: