Thursday, May 21, 2009

Good Things in Small Packages

If you are a long time reader, you may remember my talking about creating this little quilt for a magazine's challenge. It wasn't accepted for publication and it came home to me.

Since then it has been sitting in it's little baggie on the top of my desk.

This week it's going off in the mail as a donation to the Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative. I hope it raises some money to help the cause! If you'd like to read more about AAQI, use this link, if you're a quilter, I highly encourage you to get involved!!


Have I mentioned recently that I always seem to have several projects running at once?

Right now I'm just tired of building pieces that are somewhat like production work, and since I don't have another confirmed show for a while, I've decided to work on a piece that I did the first rough sketches for about 2 years ago. (Yes, this is why I make notes and draw rough sketches, otherwise those ideas just evaporate into the ozone!)

This then is the layered drawing that I've just done for the project.

When I do these, I use a piece of heavy drawing paper for the background, then pieces of tracing paper for each "layer" of the design.

The plan is to make 4 beaded balloons that will be suspended inside a shadow box style frame and to replace the solid back of the frame with a piece of plexiglass (that we can paint some things on) that will let the light shine through the piece.

So, now that the layered drawing is complete, it's time to start in on the detailed graphs for each balloon.













It's been hot here the last few days.

So why, you may ask, am I knitting wool mittens?

Well, these will all be donated to a good cause at the end of summer.

There's something good to be said about knitting small things when it's hot --- it's not so big that it's all draped over me making me hotter, for one thing.

I think I'm knitting the warmth of the summer sun into each mitten to keep all those little hands warm through the winter.

I hope it works

No comments: