Saturday, August 22, 2009

"Carried Away"

Lookie, an actual finished project!

this project has been "in process" for a long, long time, but yesterday I finally finished it

the balloons are all brick stitched in size 11 delica seed beads and the bead band that goes all the way around the inside edge of the frame is done in peyote stitch size 11 seed beads

the backing of the frame has been replaced with a piece of clear plastic that is painted with a mountain scene so the light can come through

I'm pretty pleased with the way this looks, and amazed that I managed to "suspend" the balloons without having to drill into the wood frame

pretty cool!


I was thinking that I was not going to get to even start on this project, but then I reminded myself that it will not be just beads, but a mixed media piece, so any material would be fair game

you'll notice that the top and right hand side of the drawing has already been colored blue for the sky, which I did with the Copic markers

there at the top of the tray is the fabric that will be all of the glass portions, and the beads that I will use for the bricks and wood are also in the tray

oh yeah, the large rectangular panels at the top of the building itself were (or at least looked like) sheet steel --- I didn't really want to do that with glass beads, and going shopping for something was not an option, but the aluminum tray itself --- now that can be cut with kitchen sheers to the proper size and a "bezel" of beads created around each piece to create the look of the steel --- I hope

stay tuned for the experimenting!

meantime, I have almost finished the accent beads to go with the first Out of Africa piece, and I'm making headway on the floral handbag too

time to get to it!

No comments: