Wednesday, August 12, 2009

a new trick

at least a new trick to me!

you may recall that I took the binding off the zebra piece

but as always when you remove something that has been stitched together, there are these little thread "hang nails"
that stay behind

usually this means spending a lot of time picking them out one by one

grrrrrr

yesterday I decided to try something different

so I took a strip of masking tape and stuck it (firmly) to the back of the fabric along the line where the stitching was


then I pulled the tape off

(think waxing your legs)

all those little threads stuck magically to the tape and came off

no more picking!

I'm delighted

after that I re-trimmed the edges to square the piece up and cut some additional bias binding

today I hope to get started on putting the new binding on




Yesterday I talked the DH into taking me on a little outing to one of the new library buildings in our area to take a look at some "quilts" that were on display there.

The library and the quilts weren't much to talk about, but while I was there I found a book titled "The Art of Landscape Quilting" which was definately worth the trip!

This book is full of techniques and ideas about creating landscape quilts, and while I still am not ready to go to that raw edge fused finish on things, there's no reason I can't apply the design ideas and painting techniques to my own totally stitched pieces

I worked on the balloon piece again yesterday --- I now have all of the balloons strung together and I'm ready to start trying to glue the beading into the frame --- maybe today

time to get to it

No comments: