Saturday, August 01, 2009

shopping trip

yesterday we needed to do a bit of shopping, and since I was feeling stronger we went into the fabric store first

the Christmas project I'm working on needed a new spool of quilting thread --- did you know that the colors of quilting thread that they made 10 years ago are not available any more?

ok, I guess that's my "DUH" for the week --- I was able to get a spool that is a slightly darker color than the one I was using, and because of the way I'm doing the quilting I'll be able to make it look like I did that on purpose --- oh look, a "design opportunity"! (guess when I start the next quilting on a big project I'll check this out in advance!)

while I was in there I also got a pattern for another Christmas project and a brand new bottle of Fabritac glue (which I use a lot for my multi media fiber pieces to attach wood to fabric, etc). I actually went in with the idea of getting the glue and then found that it was on sale --- YeAh!

anyway, along with the spool of thread and the glue and the pattern

I bought a treat for me

along with Quilting Arts this magazine is always full of amazing things and loaded with inspiration

this particular issue's cover is an amazing quilt that the artist designed based on an Italian Renaissance ceiling -- it's about 86 inches square and weighs 12 pounds --- and that's all applique work --- AWESOME!

one of the other cool things about the magazine is that it gives profiles and contact information about the contributors to the magazine --- and this one was no exception

I've already found another "must read" blog (or two) in this issue


in our area the stores are already starting the big "back to school" sales

pens, pencils, notebooks

I love it, it is the time of year when I take advantage of the sales and pick up some things that I use all year long

for a while now (about 4 years!) I've been using up spiral notebooks that my daughter gave me when she graduated from college

this year I actually bought 2 spirals ---- only 15 cents each!

and then there are these

I like doodling, and a lot of the drawings I do that way end up getting used to create other things --- like note cards and rubber stamps, etc., etc.

these are ball point pens and the inks are the colors of the pens --- green, orange, pink, blue and purple --- this set greatly increases my color palette from just black, blue and red --- and this set was part of the school sales too --- only $2.00 for the set ---

along with the shopping I did work on beading and quilting and the zebras yesterday (picture of the zebras soon), but I have also done something that has made my left arm throb like a toothache --- in fact, I ended up using my post surgery music set up to get to sleep (finally!) at about 12:30 last night --- so today I will take it easy, try to rest that arm, maybe play with the new pens

No comments: