Thursday, April 01, 2010

creating the patterns

the Wild About Flowers piece has reached the "its time to make flower patterns" stage

this is one of the photos I've been working with

to create the pattern I printed out the picture as a full 8 1/2 by 11 sheet

then I take a fine point Sharpie marker and draw around the pieces of the picture to create sections that would be big enough to be able to applique but still small enough to give the needed definition


once I have the picture marked up, I trace only those black lines on to a sheet of tracing paper

the tracing paper then goes into the scanner to have "techno-magic" done to it

flip

stretch

shrink

enlarge

all possible with that wonderful scanner/printer combination

then I print it out on a sheet of paper that will get cut up and used as the pattern for the fabric

sometimes that means printing several sheets and taping them together to make a big enough pattern to do what I want to do

all in a day's work creating a new design

No comments: