Monday, November 29, 2010

branching out

the applying of branches to this piece is done

I finished stitching the last of the redwood ones on yesterday -- carefully stitching little short pieces so it looks like the ones that are on the left hand side are entwined with the aspen branches

I still need to do some painting on the aspen branches, but the stitching part is done

after I finished that sewing I starting working on aspen leaves -- stitching around the outline of each one -- being careful to leave a opening big enough that I'll be able to turn them right side out

got 10 of them stitched -- lots more to do, and I may do some of that on the machine -- we'll see -- if I need some handwork to fiddle with, the leaves are the perfect project -- if I just want to crank 'em out, I'll draw out a bunch of them and head to the machine later this week

these lovelies are now complete

when I finally got into the groove, fussing with the double pointed needles got less annoying and more productive

so it took me about half the time to do the second one

and I like this pattern so well I'm thinking about actually knitting a pair for myself

after I finish a couple of other projects



and since I had finished the leg warmers, I have moved on to the next knitting project

this odd looking object is a hat

you knit it up out of double strand felt-able wool, throw it in the washer to felt it and shape it over a form (I'll be using the styrofoam wig stand that I've used for several other hat projects)

I'll be doing some felted flowers to decorate it too

and there's a good chance I'll get a lot of this project done today in the car as we'll be heading home this morning

time to go finish packing stuff up!

1 comment:

AlisonH said...

Someday I will get up the courage to make a felted hat. That day has not yet arrived, though.