Sunday, May 13, 2012

more project progress

back to work on the tiles for that necklace!

the point of these two was to create a beaded background to showcase those vintage brass floral pieces

the beading was done with four different beads -- a yellow and brown with a matte finish and a yellow and brown with an AB finish -- worked in rows alternating over the entire surface --- up close it looks somewhat like beaded gingham, but the overall look is a sort of butterscotch blend

I'm pleased with how these two came out

there is one more pair of these side tiles and then the center medallion ---- rolling along!

yesterday afternoon I made a trip to the local quilt store to search for some fabric to use for the frame of my Hoffman Challenge piece

after pulling several bolts and testing them around the quilt, this is the piece I picked

my first thought was to use a black, but even batiks or blenders that were black were just too stark against the piece

this fabric is much darker than the background of the piece, but not just a solid "blah" piece

the binding of this piece will essentially be the "frame" around the "painting", and because of that it will be wider than I usually do, which will be it's own interesting challenge


and under the category of "I know I've seen that fabric before", when I opened the project box for the next quilt project last night, I had put a fat quarter of that same swirly brown fabric in there to be used on the new quilt --- hmmmm --- I may have had this image in my mind when I started looking for that binding in the first place



1 comment:

AlisonH said...

Forward, match!