Friday, July 20, 2007

Can you help with this project?

As you may remember from a while back, I have been saving plastic bags to knit into tote bags. I must admit, however, that since I have in mind making up several of these little lovelies before Christmas, I've encountered 2 problems. One is that I probably won't be able to collect enough bags on my own and the other is that about the only colors I get are yellow and orange with a few white ones thrown in now and then.

Sooo, here's my question for all of my readers: Do you have any plastic bags (colored stuff, not the clear ones from the produce section) that you would consider sending me? I would especially love to have interesting colors -- anything NOT yellow or orange, for instance!

If you'd like to contribute to the fun, you can email me at: webspinner51 AT yahoo DOT com and I'll send you details on where to mail stuff.

Thanks in advance!!

Yesterday I went back to working on the necklace I've been doing for about 6 months now. Every time I get one step finished I have to pause and think for a while (ok, sometimes for a LONG while) on how to do what I see as the next step.

I think I have finally figured out how to create what looks like a little waterfall over the back of the big stones with a bit of beading that combines ladder stitch, brick stitch, right angle weave and netting work.....I managed to get a magnificant ONE stone completed. I'm hoping the next ones will go more quickly.

Last night we attended a meeting of the local Mineral Club. We had been invited by a fellow that I purchased some very cool rock cabs from, and we decided that we should check it out. I took the latest piece of jewelry with me to show him the kind of thing I do with the stuff I bought from him and had several other folks admiring the work too. Nice! Their program was a lecture/slide show about crystals and how they are classified.....I can tell you that in this case I'm definately WAY dummer than the room, but it was nice to just feel uneducated, not stupid (my apologies if that doesn't make sense!) As a person that took only the bare minimum of science classes in high school (and NONE since), I can say I've learned more about geology in the past 4 years than any time ever before.....guess now I'm just more interested. At least some of what the fellow was saying made sense to me, and he had some of the most awesome samples of stuff I had ever seen.....a perfect crystal of iron pyrite that was about 3" across --- wow! Anyway, we'll probably go again and maybe get involved with a couple of their sub-groups -- the DH wants to learn to do faceting, and I wouldn't mind learning to do at least cab work so I could cut my own stuff.














Completed another hot pad -- this one is a small one ideal for wrapping around a pan handle or grabbing a pan lid. This one used up a lot of my little bits and pieces of yarn that were left over from some of my bigger projects.



This afghan square marks a kind of record -- I have made 50 of these! This is the first one for what will be the next box full.

Tonight I have a cake decorating class, so I best get moving and put the crumb coat on the cake!

2 comments:

Kelly (Lynn) Parra said...

I don't have any colored plastic baggies--ugh. I just have the grocerie bags. I'd like to see a pic when you are done, sounds really interesting!

Bev said...

Thanks Kelly! I'll be posting pictures (as always) ;^)