Sunday, July 22, 2007

working on a new design......

As I said a few days ago, I have finished the quilt top I've been making for my daughter and her soon to be husband. I'm waiting for the package to arrive with the backing in it so that I can start on the quilting. So I spent a bit of time yesterday working out what I'm going to quilt (and where). This morning I copied the most intricate portions onto card stock so I can cut it up and use it as a template.

Doing the quilting is something I really enjoy, but it is something that I usually do at the end of the day when I can settle into my chair and relax (I don't have a quilt frame -- can't imagine where I'd put it -- so I just work in my lap).

This means that like with most big projects, I've got a big "gap" in my working sequence, so I'm already thinking about the next quilting project. (Until I check on rather the intended recipient reads this blog, I'll not be going into details) I can say that the working idea involves creating a picture in much the same way I do when I use beads ---- little rectangles of color all stitched together in the proper order. It would be a good thing if I can get the design work done in the next month or so because I could then start putting sections together while we're traveling to shows in September and October.

Speaking of shows, we were notified yesterday that we have been accepted in the Cider Days on Walnut Street in Springfield, MO, at the end of September. We had done this show a few years ago, and it will be interesting to see if my new stuff goes as well as the old stuff did. It does mean that I need to get some more of the new style pieces finished -- it usually sells better if there are more of the same style items to select from.

I have finally finished stitching all of the animals we have in process. I have been painting the toucan feet and the stick for the jester the past couple of days, so today I hope to get started putting the jester together. I got small (1/4 yard) pieces of the fabrics for the collar and the hat in the colors that the customer wants, and usually this hat/collar building doesn't take too long.



Friday night was my cake class. Click on the cake picture to read more about that adventure.

I didn't get as much work done as I might have yesterday, owing to the fact that around 1 pm the post office delivered my copy of the last Harry Potter book. I'm not as fanatic as some folks, but I have already read 9 chapters. I'm trying to avoid going to places (ie book reviews, websites) that will spoil the ending for me, but I'm pretty resigned to the fact that since I don't just "hole up" and read straight through that there's a chance I'll find out what happens before I actually finish the book. Part of the fascination of this series of books for me (beside the fact that its a GREAT read) is the history of the author. Writing in a coffee shop because her flat had no heat, being rejected out of hand by several publishers, she is (like Harry himself) a study in perserverance. Talk about a role model for every as yet unpublished author on the planet! (yes, that includes ME!)

time to get moving on some other projects.....

No comments: