Friday, July 13, 2007

DUH times 2 and a small side trip....

well, I just knew it was going too well....

on Wednesday afternoon I was all ready to start putting the center block in the quilt I'm working on only to discover that my "to scale" drawing that I had been working from wasn't! The drawing showed that the center block would need to be a 24" square, so just to be sure I was ok, I had cut the piece 29" square. Unfortunately, I should have actually laid the quilt on the table and measured the opening instead, because even the 29" square is too small.

After a small amount of weeping, stomping about and gnashing of teeth, I pulled out all the fabric left from the block construction to see if I had enough of the fabric I thought would work best to make a "frame" around that center block and fix the problem....Nope, not happening. So, off I went to one of my local quilt stores (which had recently move into new -- and very nice -- digs) with a sample of the selected fabric to see what I could get that would work.

One of the reasons I like going to this quilt store is that the folks there are great...very friendly and helpful. While they didn't have anything EXACTLY like the piece I was clutching, after my explanation of the situation, she did find me a great piece that is the same colors, just a slightly different pattern and considering that all of the pieced blocks are made of a large variety of patterns, it works. So, I bought 2 yards of the stuff, the plan being to cut wide strips with the grain to create a frame around that center block (which actually is a really good looking thing) and then to cut the rest of the yardage on the bias to create the binding (necessarily on bias because it is all those double wedding ring curved edges).

So, I have escaped this little "design opportunity" crisis without major anguish, but DUH! Measure twice, cut once!

And then there was the sweater. I've been knitting blissfully along, smirking slightly and feeling superior that I was almost half way up the first sleeve, and it is a Christmas present, and it was going so well, etc., etc., etc. Then the fact that I was only able to get gauge with this yarn and these needles in one direction caught up with me and bit me in the butt. There I was, only half way through the sleeve and finding that the front edge was already the full length it was supposed to be when finished....Uh, DUH again! Obviously there will be a trip to the frog pond (rip it, rip it) in my future here. Nuts!

About that time I got a phone call from my mother telling me that my dad was in the emergency room because he was having trouble breathing and they were going to keep him in the hospital over night. So at that point, I tossed my afghan square knitting into the car and away we went to Denver.















In the car on the way up and back, I finished 2 more afghan squares. That means I only need to do one more and I can pack off a box to the group. A good thing.

And my dad was doing better, they will be adjusting his medications I think.....

So, today I have a long list of things I need to get done (longer than I can possible accomplish) so I'll just have to redefine the order of importance and put some of them over into tomorrow....

time to get moving!

2 comments:

Kelly (Lynn) Parra said...

Scary, Bev! I hope your dad is feeling much better!

And I was watching a lady making a pattern design for pillows with different scraps of material and I was mesmerized. It looks so difficult! Bev, you are very talented to be able to create all that you do!

Bev said...

thanks Kelly! Dad is better, all is well!!