Sunday, June 08, 2008

a small shopping trip and new projects galore!

My sister came down from Denver on Wednesday for our annual "play date". We worked on various projects, had some "good eats" (home made chow mein and a "quitata" -- recipes are posted over on Hattie's Kitchen)



On Thursday morning we made a trip to the local Hobby Lobby for some "supplies"

As you may recall (or not, its been a while!) I've been reworking some bears in a kind of "primitive" style, and I have one that I have been waiting for inspiration to finish.

DMC has some great new (well, ok, new to me, I don't really know how long the stuff has been available, I wasn't paying attention!), embroidery floss that is RAYON! I love the way rayon fiber looks -- it has this sort of "glow" about it, especially when dyed in very intense colors.

Anyway, I got 4 skeins of the stuff to do floral embroidery on that awaiting bear -- so watch this space (as they say) for pictures of that to come (hopefully) soon

I also picked up a package of very small brads to use for the paperdoll experiments -- I got the variety pack so I didn't have to make up my mind on the spot what color combos I might be using, and knowing that I couldn't buy a full box of each. This will be a totally new thing as I don't usually make paperdolls with moving parts -- it should be fun!




One of the things my sister brought along with her was a log cabin quilt top that she put together about 20 years ago.

I'm going to quilt it for her -- so that was also part of what we picked up while we were shopping -- fabric for a backing (its white) and thread (one very dark navy and one a sort of burgandy -- the idea is to do concentric "rings" of those two colors from the center out)

This project will get under way shortly -- I need to pin the sandwich together so I can get started






This box of goodies arrived on Thursday while we were out shopping

The awaited box of supplies for yet another project to be worked on

(Christmas project at that!!)




And in honor of the momentous occasion of swaching and getting both stitch AND row gauge, we will be issuing a stamp, minting a coin and striking a medal!!

This just never happens -- I almost always get stitch gauge the first time out with the stated needles (as long as I'm using at least a similar yarn), but it is equally RARE for me to get row gauge.

It must be that the designer of this new project knits like I do!!

(Oh yes, the color on this photo is a bit off -- much too blue -- the yarn is actually BLACK with little flecks of red, blue, white and yellow in it, very "heathery") But because the yarn is 4% rayon, it sort of "glows" (very like the embroidery floss) -- and it has a wonderful soft feel ---- mmmmmmm, I'm not going to want to give this one away!!)

I've also been working on stitching up a new bear design that the DH drew up (its now back to him for joints); making up the last of the black and white beads for the necklace; and putting a face on the angel panel.

Just the usual business of having a dozen projects going at once!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Do you still use free service like blogspot.com or wordpress.com but
they have less control and less features.
shift to next generation blog service which provide free websites for
your blog at free of cost.
get fully controllable (yourname.com)and more features like
forums,wiki,CMS and email services for your blog and many more free
services.
hundreds reported 300% increase in the blog traffic and revenue
join next generation blogging services at www.hyperwebenable.com
regards
www.hyperwebenable.com